The fact is that several events have unfolded rapidly since the UMNO meeting that ended in a 3 year suspension to the Bukit Bendera M.P.
- Malaysia Today website “unblocked” but all blogs, websites and alternative news publishers to be monitored closely by the Home Ministry;
- Arrest of RPK under the ISA for allegedly insulting Prophet Muhammad;
- Arrest of Teresa Kok, Seputeh M.P under the ISA (for I don’t know what)
- Arrest of Tan Hoon Cheng, Sin Chew reporter under the ISA for presumably reporting on the Ahmad Ismail issue.
- The “revolt” by Muhyuddin over the 2010 handover of the PM’s post, and,
- The “about turn” by Najib over his statement to stand by the PM until 2010.
All these point to a major crackdown by the government. There is a disturbing ring to it. For those old enough to remember, it is a reminder of the 1987 Operasi Lallang where hundreds of ordinary Malaysians, opposition politicians, NGO and community leaders were arrested under the ISA in a nationwide swoop by then PM – Mahathir Mohammed. The purpose then as it is now, was also to silence the dissenting voices. A case of history repeating itself.
If then we were cowed into submission with the prospect of the sword of domocles hanging over our heads, today we shall not be bludgeoned so. This is merely the last acts of a government who no longer have the respect nor the moral authority to govern over its people. It’s a desperate last stand by the desperate actors.
Already there are those who are asking whether we should take to the streets. But we must not fall into their trap. For this is what they want – an excuse to put emergency law into place; the Constitution will be suspended; military law will be imposed. Then they can do what they want.
So more than ever now, we have to keep our wits. We shall not be provoked. We shall not be threatened. We SHALL overcome. If not today, then someday.
In the meantime, check out the following blogs/websites for updated news, vigils and gatherings organised by NGO’s and others. Go and make your presence shown. Let’s Not Curse The Darkness But Light One Candle. For all those detained. For us. For Peace and Justice. And for Malaysia.
Hidup Rakyat! Hidup Malaysia!
- The People’s Parliament
- Anil Netto
- The Scribe
- Zorro Unmasked
- US Summons Malaysian envoy
- Najib backtracking?